Starting in Auckland, travel north on one of GreatSights’ comfortable and air-conditioned deluxe coaches on this Bay of Islands day tour. Sit back, relax and enjoy the informative commentary as you cross the iconic Harbour Bridge, and soak up New Zealand’s spectacular scenery of rural countryside and sub-tropical bush en route to the beautiful Bay of Islands.
After arriving in Paihia, you’ll board the Dolphin Seeker, our purpose built catamaran licensed by the Department of Conservation for dolphin and whale viewing. Enjoy the large outdoor viewing decks as we cruise past the islands of the Bay. Keep a look out for common and bottlenose dolphins, whales and other marine life as our experienced local skippers get you up close to the action.
Cruise past the Cape Brett Lighthouse, before arriving at the majestic Hole in the Rock. Admire the rock walls towering above you as the skipper navigates right through the narrow space (conditions permitting) before heading back into the inner islands of the Bay.
Add a guided tour of the historic Waitangi Treaty Grounds where in 1840, the Treaty of Waitangi was signed between Maori and the British Crown. Explore the original Treaty House, one of New Zealand’s oldest and most visited historic homes and the Te Whare Runanga, a fully carved Maori meeting house, which is representative of all iwi (regional tribes) in New Zealand. The Waitangi Treaty Grounds offer a truly unique insight into New Zealand’s early history.
A picnic lunch is available on this tour (extra cost applies). Lunches must be pre booked by 6pm the day before travel.
Tour Details & Highlights:
- Full day tour
- Operates daily
- Departs and returns: Sky City Coach Terminal
- Complimentary hotel pick-up / drop-off available
- Return coach travel from Auckland
- Bay of Islands dolphin watching cruise
- Travel to the famous ‘Hole in the Rock’
- Guided tour of Waitangi Treaty Grounds (optional extra)
- WiFi available on board coach
- Bay of Islands vegetarian picnic lunch: A satisfying salad, fresh bread, cake and mixed fruit and nuts make a satisfying and healthy lunch.
- Bay of Islands Picnic Lunch: A chicken salad with fresh bread, cake and mixed fruit and nuts eaten on board your cruise.