Mainland Australia’s most eastern town Byron Bay is famous for it’s laid back free-spirited culture which offers alternative lifestyles and a slowed down pace of life. Known as the hippie Mecca of Australia’s East Coast, you’re instantly drawn in by the carefree, chilled out vibes as well as the amazing beaches, eclectic nightlife, lush rainforests and much more.
It’s no wonder that people travel from far and wide to experience this free living nature, its allure makes it hard to leave and frankly ever wear shoes again.
How to get there?
1. Byron Bay is approximately an eight-hour drive from Sydney along the Pacific Highway, an iconic route fringed with picturesque beaches and breathtaking national parks, which makes it an ideal route for a campervan roadie. From just $20 a day with Travel Playground‘s Campers, this mode of transport is both affordable and fun, getting you into the free spirited, free living Byron lifestyle before you arrive. We recommend visiting these top destinations along the way: Port Stephens, Port Macquarie Koala Hospital and Dangar Falls. Travel Playground offers a Full Road-trip Guide on the best places to see and top things to do FREE with all bookings for your once-in-a-lifetime camper adventure.
2. If you’d rather sit back and relax and let someone else do the driving while you snooze, the Greyhound bus overs a $190 return ticket from Sydney to Byron. It’s 12-hour overnight trip each way is a low-cost, convenient way to travel if you’re short on time.
3. Alternatively, you can catch a flight from Sydney airport to the nearest airport Ballina which takes 1.5hrs and then take the airport shuttle ($22) into town.
If in doubt, ask the experts. Enquire about your options with Travel Playground today.
Where to stay?
Location is key to your perfect stay in Byron, with most activities and highlights located in the centre of ‘The Bay’. Travel Playground offers a variety of accomodation options in Byron Bay, with dorms from as little as $20 per night to double rooms from $80 a night.
Contact us with your requirements and we’ll find you the best option to suit your time frame and budget.
What to do?
You won’t be stuck for activities and things to do in Byron, whether you’re an adrenaline junkie or after a more of a low-key nature escape, there’s something for everyone.
Our top three activities include:
- Skydiving – Experience the ultimate high jumping from 15000ft! From $269 pp.
- Nimbin Happy Bus Tour –Experience a bus ride like no other to happy town!! Includes Lunch. $50 pp.
- Kayak with Dolphins – Get up close to dolphins in their own habitat. Am and Pm Tours available. From $65 pp.
Check out our full list of tours and activities available here.
Contact us for more information on all tours and activities, we offer unbeatable discounts on all.
Top three free activities..
- Be the first person in Australia to see the sunset at Cape Byron Lighthouse, Australia’s most Easterly point. Make sure to check out the dolphins surfing the waves on your walk up to the lighthouse.
- Get some beers and head to the drum circle at the main beach for sunset – you’ll be amazed by the level of local talent, the vibe is infectious.Once the drum circle finishes you could take a stroll a couple of blocks through the town and enjoy all the buskers and street performers.
- Watch out for whales! Our recommended viewing spots are Cape Byron and Captain Cook Lookout. Alternatively, you can book onto a whale watching tour.
Byron is not shy of nightlife and depending on what vibe your after there’s a range of bars to suit all. Here’s our top picks!
– The Beach Hotel – A firm favourite for both locals and tourists, this pub has the most amazing atmosphere on a sunny day. It’s amazing outdoor patio which regularly hosts live music is always buzzing with people. We’d recommend this central spot after a long day at the beach for a few cold ones.
–Cheeky Monkeys – Has dubbed itself as ‘Australia’s number one party bar’ and it’s certainly the place to go if you’re after a big night of dancing on tables. Known for their themed nights, from silent discos to Tropical Tuesdays and paint parties, check out what’s on during your stay.
–Miss Margarita’s – If you’re after something a little more low-key, you’re in for a treat at Miss Margarita’s which is known for it’s amazing cocktails and Mexican cuisine. Insider tip: To guarantee a table on your preferred night, book in advance.
–Woodys Bar – Known for it’s vintage surf vibe, Woody’s is a backpackers favourite offering $6 happy hour deals on schooners and house spirits from 8pm-10pm every night.
Byron Bay’s unique chilled-out surf culture and artistic energy coupled with it’s stunning landscapes including beaches and lush rainforest make it a destination like no other and definitely one for the bucket-list.
Feel free to drop us a line to help you plan your perfect getaway to Byron, you won’t regret it!